What are some known kite electricity methods?
(without yet asking about the economies or efficiencies of a method)
Following a lead of
as he confided in Tal Streeter, the world of
(paravanes) is as valid a kite concern as the world of air
kites. Kites "flown" in water depths or air heights --for the purpose of
generating electricity--has drawn the attention of scientists,
technicians, commercial leaders, and recreationists.
What is seemingly
just for air kites has kin analogues in paravane or underwater kite
structures and systems. Underwater paravanes anchored to shores of
rivers, ocean currents, dam releases, tidal flows, etc. are
potential sources of water-kite-based hydroelectricity.
(not yet comprehensive)
- Generator position
- Generators lofted with electricity stored and/or perhaps used
- Generators lofted with electricity sent to ground via conductors or
- Generators lofted with energy sent to ground via microwave.
- Generators kept on the ground while mechanical energy of dynamic
kite systems operate generators.
Store kite-obtained energy in various forms only to later use
the energy for work or for generating electricity.
- Kite part surfaces made with double-purposed solar-radiation
converting structures (convert radiation to electricity).
- Areas on earth that have persistent clouds or fog: kytoons flown
above the clouds that are made with solar-converting textiles and thin
solar-cell films may provide an electrical source for practical uses.
- Motion types:
- Kite line motion
- Oscillations and cycles
- "hunting turbine" (Dave Santos)
- Lateral rail boating
- Out-and-in cycling, pulsating tension controlled by angle of attack
changes or by porosity changes ...via smart programs or reactionary
- Line in loop driven around itself
- Line in loop with fixed kite point in lateral motion driving loop
through ground generators
- Line torsion, rotating the kite line to transfer energy
- Controlled direction to rotate levers (circles or left-to-right)
- Oscillating shape of kite line to achieve variable line windage for
tugging grounded generator.
- Cable wave energy tapped by linear alternators. Springs aiding in
maintaining resonant frequencies.
- Wind-cable power conversion systems
- Line is made sturdy to transfer direct torsion to ground generator.
Torsion is achieve by propellers. Torsion-sturdied line or rod or tube
or tensegrity tower may be held by lofted
lifter or not.
- Kite line "laundry"
- On devices that rotate, flutter, jiggle, contract-release,
- From the main kiteline, hang sublines with active devices that
generate electricity either directly or by virtue of transmitted kinetic
- Cable-suspended resonant wind engine
- Kite's tail
- part can be spinning; that spinning can run a small
generator for work on the kite, for charging batteries, or for sending
electricity to ground for use or storage. Flutter, pulsation,
oscillation, spinning, and alternations (size, porosity, shape,
position) may be mechanically or smartly attained to provide changes
leading generator drives.
- Any of the methods of morphing a kite's wing body (see) or
its line or its line laundry (see) could be applied to tails.
- Tails may be free or constrained to a ground generator which
position is weathervaned or is moved by tail forces or by ground-control
forces to provide differences that could be transformed to making
- Kite motion:
- Rotating spanwise kite
- Rotating vertical axis kite
- Rotating windwise axis kite
- Up and down
- Large circles to drive levers on the ground
- Figure of eights to drive line position to drive levers on the
- Free-gliding kite hang gliders (pilot's falling mass moors and tugs
the kite through short kite lines during free-flight) mounted with
generator and propeller are being considered for generating electricity
to charge on-board batteries for use in extending flight range by motor
when needed. Researcher: Taras Kiceniuk, Jr. and others.
- Driving rocker levers
- Driving circular rings with kites attached to the circumference of
- Wave pulsation (air or water)
- Shape changing by inflation pressure oscillations to produce tug
- Pulsating porosity
- Pneumatic shape pulsations
- Reverse method developed in
- Reverse invention for water-kite electricity
UNDULATING SURFACE DRIVING SYSTEM
- Shape morphing via "cavexing" [Faust]
- Shape morphing of airfoil by one of many methods
- Pulsation, oscillation, on-off tugs, pull-relax-pull, some-none, open-close,
yes-no, light-dark, small-big, short-long,
left-right, binary, up-down, out-in, large-small, on-off,
pitch-less-pitch, cycling, intermittent, buffeting, fluttering,
vibrating, interrupt, valving, shunting, open-close, porous-non-porous,
weak-strong, stiff-bendy, taut-loose, smooth-rough, faster-slower,
moving-non-moving, twirling-non-twirling, more-less,
clockwise-counterclockwise, hard-soft, intake-outtake,
expand-contract, inhale-exhale, grab-release, push-release,
bend-release, fill-empty, connect-disconnect, expose-hide,
tighten-loosen, sloshing, hot-cold, wet-dry, static-ground,
touch-untouch, aileron up-then down, flap up then down, flip-flip,
fore-aft, back-forth, give-take, push-pull, connect-disconnect,
energize-off, power-depower, center-off-center, hole-no-hole,
upwind-downwind, roll-unroll, ruddering, brake-release, friction
on-friction-off, rotate-pause, reel in-let-out, bulbous-slim, telescope
out-back-in, wide-less-wide, aspect-ratio increase-decrease,
twist-untwist, stress-relax, porous-not-porous, compress-decompress,
flexing-relaxing, one-direction-then-another (any rotational amount
differential), raise-lower, wax-wane, reel-unreel, ebb-flow, hard-soft,
inflating-deflating, wave-unwave, increase-decrease, more amplitude-less
amplitude, oneway-otherway, "cavex-de-cavex" ,
balance-imbalance, pump-release, over-under, yank-pause, tensioning-retensioning, tension-compression,
firm-flaccid, yo-yo, symmetrical-asymmetrical, etc. Use such binary opposites to
produce alternating tugs to drive a grounded electric generator.
Spread and narrow anchor points or other points in systems and arches.
- Musical kites point to fluttering mechanics that can feed electric
- Combinatorial arrangements
- Kytoon sky anchor or lifter
- Lifter kites holding curtains or sail towers saturated with turbines
- Cable between mountains or hills over a valley; cables hold
- Line-held rotating surfaces (line axis or perpendicular to line),
wind turbines (on line or draped)
- Surfaces of the kite system may be solar-energy converters
- Collections of lifter kites lofting vertical curtains of
wind-maintaining rotation forms can coupled with ground-based generators
receiving torques from above. Kytoons could drape wind-rotated forms on
- As mentioned in Richard Miller's Without Visible Means of Support
and restated by Dr. Paul MacCready ...and experienced in some
land and water craft, there is a sector of dual-body systems that permit
directing forces to advantages. Miller and MacCready pointed to two
varied kites coupled in differential wind environments but fully lofted
in the atmosphere. The smart coupling and dynamics may provide dynamic
soaring or possibly be utilized to tap some of the forces for generating
electricity for sustaining flight of the system or stored..
Likewise, in water or the interface of water and air, coupled kites of
either sort may do work when properly arranged.
- Air kite tacking water kite or boat: then have part of the water
situation be with a water turbine driving electric generation.
- Kite powered windmill, oscillating kite-powered tensioned loop. Use
any type of kite for niche purposes. Use fully limp parafoils or
stiffened kites or hard-surfaced airfoils or kiteplanes or kited
gliders. Consider letting the kite or kiteplane be remotely controlled
or smartly robot controlled, or even live-human controlled in the air
for giving pilot practice to recreational or professional pilots. As the
pilot guides the kite from side to side in the wind window, s(he) gets
flying practice and entertainment ..while pulling the bi-line tether
(loop) through ground-based generators; the loop can be very long and
the flying path can be wide or not. In each power change of direction of
the kite, an increase in apparent wind occurs and the potential of
tension to pull the loop line through ground generators permits high
chance to generate electricity. All of this can be robotized. If
the kite or kiteplane is lighter than air, then the kytoon can remain up
in the high altitudes during wind lulls. Universal joints on the gorund
can permit wind direction to change greatly while still driving the same
ground-based generators. The ground-based generators could be
underground to save on real estate grab; or the generators could be
raised on a roof while the ground remains for other real estate uses.
- Air kites in combination with water kites (tether, fixed coupling,
RC, smart, oscillating)
- Morphing kytoons using some of the ideas of the
while taping the motions up and down for electricity generating
- Kytoon gas expansion and contraction used to drive generator. Raise
and lower the kytoon. Or raise and lower lifter kites while lifting
balloon whose cavexors are couple with electric generators
- As manned-kite-glider glides: let propeller set on the free-flying
kite be driven by the ambient apparent wind; let that propeller drive an
electric generator to charge batteries onboard. Later: Use the charged
batteries to drive the propeller for extending flight.
Regenerative charging. Taras Kiceniuk, Jr.
- Flutter of underwater kite or fishing lure could generate
electricity to light the lure to attract fish (now many lighted lures
use tiny batteries; proposed: go direct: let the kiting flutter of the
lure generate the electricity to light the lure; look Mom, no
batteries!). Such are patented:
Electronic fishing lure
US Pat. 6457275 - Filed Nov 2,
2000 - Pro-Troll, Inc.
US 6457275 Bl (45) Date of Patent: Oct., 2002 (54) ELECTRONIC
FISHING LURE (75)
Inventor: Cecil R. Spurgeon, Richmond, CA (US) (73) Assignee:
flasher fishing lure
US Pat. 10844687 - Filed May 13,
6457275 Bl (the '275 patent) which teaches that when the
voltage generator or
emitter is attached to a trolling lure which experiences jerky
- Reverse what is known in flapping mechanical wings and ornithopter
technology to have the wind drive generators
- alter airfoil near twitch point to get large changes of direction,
(camber changing, rear of airfoil morphing, interior of airfoil camber
- Wind operated noise making devices converted to driving electric
- Air kite system tows water-based electricity-generating turbine
around the ocean. The electricity is stored and used later. Locate
wind paths where reverse direction may happen. Control kite system's
tacking to increase power.
- Use kite mechanical energies to pump water for later use to
- Turbines on cables
- Double-kite coupled systems to play the two kites in their
ever-distinct wind environments in order to get a net system pulsation
for use in generating electricity. Smart controlling will be needed.
- Reel out for power stroke. Depower kite. Easier reel in.
- Fly Gen
- Power Gen Peter Lynn
- Hydroelectricity is electricity generated by
hydropower, i.e., the production of power through use of the
gravitational force of falling or flowing water. Kites dragging a
electricity-generating turbine through the ocean's water provides
- Atmospheric electricity and kite systems
Distinguish between capturing lightning and the different
challenge of harnessing for utility the electrical potential differences
in atmospheric layers and ground. Could kite systems be designed to
capture and store the potential difference?
- Electrodynamic tethers
- See also:
- Dave Santos:
"The latest "disruptive" tech is a super-cheap simple self-tacking
sail under a stable lifter kite yanking on spring-loaded cranks or
pistons; anyone can do it!"
- Let recreational hang glider training double as an
electricity-generation system. Let the piloted kite out into ambient
wind. The pilot spends 3 hours doing figure eights in the sky in a stiff
wind. The pilot controls the kite into figures and pulsations. The wind
itself will change during the hours. Use the line tension changes and
direction changes to generate electricity on the ground. The pilot
has fun, gets flight training, and generates electricity all in an
afternoon of being up in the air flying. The pilot gets exercise,
recreation, good view, entertainment, and a chance to charge some
batteries or give energy to a grid.
may lift and drag air kites moored to water turbines that are fixed or
mobile. Move cargo by kite tug even while the tug turns water turbines
making electricity; arrive with charged giant batteries or
ultracapacitors; off-load cargo and the gained electricity. The wind and
water are there inviting humans to draw upon the huge renewable energy
- Heavier-than-water water kites "flown" in water currents with water
- Lighter-than-water water kites "flown" in water currents with water
- Pulsating kytoon drives ground-based dynamo. Charge batteries
of ground-based home or vehicle. No fixed tower needed as windmills.
Kytoon stays aloft as wind stops or changes direction. Use part of the
wind's energy to cause line pulsation.
- Individual actuation of struts and tensional edges in tensegrity
structures to get morphing that could drive aerodynamic changes that
could drive electric generators. "Butterfly effect" where small changes
trigger large changes. See
Wires in earth's magnetic field
- Fly kite systems that are both moving and able to convert solar
radiation to storable charges; fly the kite system above the clouds to
receive wind and solar radiation.
- aeolian technology
- Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines (HAWT)
- Vertical Axis Wind Turbines (VAWT)
- Wind farms (analogical kite system wind farms
using upper strong winds)
- Nonaxial wind turbines
- Tensile-based wind systems. Tethered
wind energy systems.
- virtual variable span wing, morphable wings, shape-changing wings,
smart-shape-changing wings, etc.
[ TOP ]