All are invited to advance this file via Notes@EnergyKiteSystems.net
- Stephan Wrage in 2001, formed a SkySails GmbH & Co. KG
- Their web.
- 2011 :: Cargill – a global transporter of agricultural, energy and industrial commodities - has signed an agreement with Greek shipowner/manager Anbros Maritime to install the world's largest kite on its Aghia Marina dry bulk cargo vessel.
The 170-metre long carrier, built in 1994, has a service speed of up to 14-knots and can carry about 28 500-tonnes of dry bulk cargoes at any one time, making it the largest vessel to use the wind power technology created by SkySails of Hamburg.
This followed Cargill signing a supply agreement with SkySails that aims to use wind power technology to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the shipping industry.
The SkySails kite flies ahead of the vessel and generates enough propulsion to reduce consumption of bunker fuel by up to 35% in ideal sailing conditions.
The 320-square meter kite will be installed on the Aghia Marina in the first quarter of 2012. It will be connected to the ship by rope and will fly in a figure-of-eight formation at a height of between 100 m to 420 m. It is computer-controlled by an automatic pod to maximize wind benefits. Source:
- Awe method: tug ships by kites
- Cargill adopts SkySails method with planned 320 m2 kite on a "handysize" vessel of between 25,000 and 30,000 deadweight tonnes. News1SS News4 News5 News6
Art1 Art2 Art3 Art4 “We are delighted that Cargill is the first company to embrace our technology on a vessel this large as part of its commitment to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the shipping industry”, said Stephan Wrage, managing director of SkySails. “We are excited that our technology will shortly be used on a handysize vessel for the first time and see great potential to incorporate it on larger ships in the future.” Expected fly: first quarter of 2012 on the handysize ship.
steerage lines, mounting track, variable tractive point, tractive cable, central steerage unit, kite-sail compressed-air chambers,
- Keywords and phrases: SkySails-System, SkySails auxiliary wind propulsion system, towing kites, launch and recovery system, control system for automatic operation,
- Recent newsletter PDF 1/2009
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z